Skip to main content

Home is so Sad

This weekend I went to Hull. 

Everyone I mentioned it to beforehand reacted in more or less the same way: "Oh I've never been to Hull, isn't it meant to be..." 
They would trail off and I don't think they were going to say "the winner of Britain in Bloom?" 

Sadly the media seem to have painted a very negative picture of the city, so folk who have never been assume it to be true. It isn't, it's a really characterful city with lots of grand architecture from a range of eras. Hull was the most bombed city outside of London during World War Two so there has been a lot of filling in where buildings were destroyed which makes for a pretty intriguing cityscape.

Hull reminded me of several places; it's a bit like Liverpool, the city anchoring the other end of the M62, before the City of Culture inertia, which is strange as Hull is shortlisted for 2017.  It made me think of Antwerp too as there is quite a Flemish flavour to some of the buildings and both are port cities. Being by water is always a bonus for me and in fact the river is the Hull and the city is Kingston upon Hull, which sounds a bit grander, but nobody seems to use it.

We stayed just outside the city in a beautiful East Riding village with friends who are from Hull but who have lived in and around Manchester for much of their adult lives. They were amazing guides, giving us a great introduction to Hull, which was made all the more special as we got to see their own personal landmarks; birthplaces, schools, parks they played in.

So I was thinking a lot about how place and memory are connected and how the fabric of the city is woven into the narrative of our lives. Photography is a perfect medium for exploring and recording this of course.  So apt that the very first thing we saw the day we arrived was a 1960's house that was apparently lived in by an early Pools winner. It stood as a reminder of a bygone era and a person's life, sadly soon to be demolished and two new houses built on the site. So we had a quick explore and I took these photographs to document it. 

The title of this blog entry is taken from a Philip Larkin poem, a famous Hull resident. 













Home is so sad. 
It stays as it was left, 
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. 
Instead, bereft 
Of anyone to please, it withers so, 
Having no heart to put aside the theft 
And turn again to what it started as, 
A joyous shot at how things ought to be, 
Long fallen wide. 
You can see how it was: 
Look at the pictures and the cutlery. 
The music in the piano stool. That vase.

©Philip Larkin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lovely Pair of Pins

I knew the expression 'pins' referring to legs but had to Google what the Cockney rhyming slang comes from. It looks like 'pins & pegs', but there are some great alternatives like 'bacon & eggs' and 'dolly pegs'. I think I might start trying to incorporate more Cockney into my everyday speak, I do have London roots but they are more South  (Saff)  London than East London, where I think it originates.  Anyway this is all to illustrate a new picture that sits quite neatly with an older picture. So brogues, legs and a sea view from my two main muses. This might be turning into a set...  Oh by the way the top view is Morecambe Bay and the lower image is from The Wirral looking across towards Wales. The North West of England is a beautiful place, with some stylish residents. 

Liverpool Periphery

L1 City Centre L2 City Centre L3 City Centre, Everton, Vauxhall L4 Anfield, Kirkdale, Walton L5 Anfield, Everton, Kirkdale, Vauxhall L6 Anfield, City Centre, Everton, Fairfield, Kensington, Tuebrook L7 City Centre, Edge Hill, Fairfield, Kensington L8 City Centre, Dingle Toxteth L9 Aintree, Fazakerley, Orrell Park, Walton L10 Aintree Village, Fazakerley L11 Croxteth, Clubmoor, Gillmoss, Norris Green

Hold Your Hair In Deep Devotion

At last after a week of being indoors, I walked into the light! I went solo and had a photography day in Liverpool, just what the doctor ordered, as they say. I'm a bit out of words at the moment and was going to include a Philip Larkin poem, but I've been thinking that Alex Turner is my modern day poet hero and this is my favourite track on AM, tucked away at the end. He's in his twenties and yet the words suggest a time before he was born, filling my head with images and memories. I've included a link to the track if you want to listen to The Arctic Monkey doing their thing whilst taking in my pictures... UPDATE Well since writing the above it has been pointed out to me that the song is actually based on a poem by John Cooper Clarke, which makes sense of the time frame (being written in the early Eighties) and the fact that I responded to the lyrics like a poem. Apparently Alex Turner first heard it read by his English teacher whilst at school. So mayb